Build your own DIY desk – neither complicated nor expensive! If you like DIY and are looking for new challenges: How about building a DIY desk yourself?
Sounds complicated and elaborate? Don’t worry; you don’t need to train as a carpenter or study engineering to create an original and practical desk.
The first step is planning: what purpose should your desk serve – do you need a large office desk with many workspaces or just a small computer desk? Where should it stand?
Take exact measurements. Also, measure what height your desk should be. The ideal working height can vary depending on your size.
A related video about “DIY Modern Writing Desk” here to watch.
Video Credit: Made by Mitch
- A Guy Builds Stratocaster DIY Electric Guitar With Colored Pencils (How To)
- How The Practical Miniatures Blade Runner 2049 Was Created
- DIY Guide: How to change windshield wipers easy in 4 steps!
- 8 Best Facts On “How to wash a backpack?” The Right Way!
Table of Contents
Building a DIY desk yourself in summary – simple and affordable
You need the following materials to build a simple desk yourself:
- One tabletop, dimensions as required
- 4 table legs, adapted to your size
- at least four right-angled hole angles, for more stability better 8
- suitable screws
- Cordless screwdriver
The building instructions are straightforward: Screw the four table legs to the tabletop’s underside at a 90-degree angle using the hole angles. For more stability, an angled cross is getting attached to the table legs facing the wall. It’s Finished!
It is the simplest version, which can be getting supplemented with many elements according to skill and taste: With a bookcase as an attachment, with base units, shelves, and much more.
How To Build your own DIY desk? – Alternative One With More Detailed Instruction
You don’t have to buy a desk; you can build one yourself. We will show you in this manual how this works.
It would help if you had this to build a desk yourself:
- a wooden worktop and, if necessary, matching edge banding to embellish cut edges
- at least four table legs/feet with matching attachment
- suitable screws
- Drilling machine with matching attachment and drill bit
- a folding rule
- a spirit level
- a pen
- a blanket
- iron if necessary
First, choose the right place for your desk and ensure that the desired worktop fits in it. You also need enough space to build the desk.
- Place a blanket (or paint fleece) on the floor and the wooden worktop upside down on top. It will ensure that it is not getting scratched during the work process.
- Now measure the distances between the table legs precisely unless you want to place them directly at the corners. Tip: If your table is to be incredibly long or the tabletop has a corner, you should use more than four table legs to ensure a secure stand.
- It is best to mark the holes to be drilled in the mounting plates with a pencil and pre-drill the holes if necessary. Otherwise, you can also fix the plates directly to the table’s underside using at least four screws. Caution: Ensure that the screws are no longer than the thickness of your tabletop; otherwise, they will breakthrough on the other side. Measure this if necessary or hold the screw against the side of the tabletop to check.
- Once all the fixing plates are screwed down, you can insert, insert, or turn the table legs, depending on the model. When purchasing, make sure that the mounting and the table leg fit together. Let us help you with this if necessary. In the DIY store or furniture stores, there are also ready-made packages with matching brackets.
- If the table legs are getting fixed, you can turn the desk over. Let us help you so that the table legs do not break off.
- Place the table in the desired place and put the spirit level on it. Align the desk as well as the legs until the tabletop is in the water.
- If the tabletop still has sawn-off edges, you can embellish them with an edge band. You can get this in every hardware store. It is usually getting attached to an adhesive layer, which becomes liquid when heated. It works with an iron. The exact procedure can be getting found in the instructions for the product.
- Your desk is now ready. You can then buy finished top shelves and attach them to your desk with matching screws to create a secretary-style desk. Alternatively, you can buy a cheap mobile pedestal that fits under your desk. You can get creative here to design your desk according to your wishes.
Tip: A wooden pedestal without castors is also suitable at the appropriate height to replace two or more of the table legs. Assemble the container according to the instructions, but do not insert the drawers yet. Then fasten the ceiling plate of the container with screws to the underside of the tabletop.
Tips and tricks for building a DIY desk yourself
If the desk is not to take up much space, for example, in small rooms, you can use a wide shelf instead of a tabletop. Home improvement stores present a wide range of sizes and materials.
Mostly you can have the materials cut to your wishes. It saves time and work and guarantees that your homemade desk will be precisely the way you want it. If you choose shorter table legs, you can also use the table as a living room table.
Build an original DIY desk yourself: Be creative.
An easy to build a desk, which also has enough storage space and drawers, you make two roll containers with drawers, as they can be bought in office supplies, over which you lay a tabletop.
Maybe you can also find a great tabletop at antique or flea markets, which you can use for a self-made desk in a vintage style?
A tip: You can also use a glass panel or a large mirror as a tabletop. This way, your desk becomes a real design piece. As an alternative to the mobile pedestals, bedside tables or cupboard elements, such as wall units, can also be easily converted.
You see: It is effortless to build an original and unique desk yourself. Let your creativity run free when designing your office.
Feel free to share this article about “How To Build Your Own DIY Desk?” with someone who wants to know more about it.